Using the Advantage Acre® Nitrogen Tool
Advantage Acre’s Nitrogen Tool leverages the Purdue University Irris nitrogen modeling tool along with Weather Trends 360 weather data and Functional Soil Mapping to create highly detailed modeling of soil nitrogen and the impact it can have on your crop production practices.
To run the Nitrogen model a corn planting activity and fertilizer activities must be entered into Field Records.
- From the main page, Click on Soil (top right corner of screen) then Click Nitrogen on the left side of the screen
- Once on the Nitrogen tab, the screen (left-hand side) will display a customized, calculated nitrogen prediction. Make sure to select the correct Planting Activity at the top. To view the Nitrogen at a growth stage, edit the growth stage by Clicking on the drop-down (Arrow 1). Anytime changes are made make sure to select Update Nitrogen Predictions to rerun the model (Arrow 2).
- Select Customize Nitrogen Calculations (Arrow 3, previous page) to adjust the tool to different settings. KEY SETTING: Target available N at maturity
- The map layers below can be accessed by Clicking the drop-down (Arrow 1).
- Soil supplied
- Amount lost
- Uptake since planting
- Amount available at selected growth stage
Cursor Hover anywhere on the map to show amounts at any spot in the field
- Variable rate nitrogen prescriptions (N VRx) are created from the Available at R6 map and the Target available N at maturity set in Customize Nitrogen Calculations.(Step 3) To create a N VRx, go back to Field Records, (Arrow 1) then Click on the Fertilizer record, and Click Switch to Variable Rate. May need to consider an additional application to meet VRx range or volume requirements.
6. Click Modify Variable Rate (Arrow 2) to adjust the VRx, and to add Test Blocks. Click Save to save any changes other than Test Blocks.
7. Click Export Application Rates (Arrow 3) to download the Nitrogen VRx as a shapefile.